I like to play piano since I was a little kid. Like any other girls at school, I started with a traditional way to learn all the master pieces, and every year simply taking piano exam to show some development and achievement. After a while, I felt a bit lost and not knowing what I was doing. Practicing the exam pieces day and night had worn out my interest in music. I even thought that I maybe lack of musical talent, so I did no good.
After graduated I gave up piano lessons and concentrated on work and family. In balancing the daily hard work, I wonder what would give me a relief. I like to sing and if I have time I would like to play piano. Then I browse through different websites and found POPPiano. In all the testimonials from previous students, they found there's a structured way to play piano and it's very easy to play along with your intuition. It sounds really wonderful. So here I came.
Thank you Derek. He is a really patient teacher, taking good care of all students even they didn't learn music before. He gives guidance in a gentle way and let us know how it goes while you hear the music. The lesson is really as simple as "do re mi fa so la ti", but you will know to play the music even without looking at the musical notes. On the other hand, it enhances your strength in listening and by noticing the intervals in between to create your own piece of work. But of course, you have to practice. Now that the secret formula is given to you, it is YOU to make it happen.
Now, I feel more comfortable playing piano. I learnt the way to play "like a genius", whether it is a LONG or SHORT way. I know I am the one in control. Thanks to Derek and POPPiano for developing a way to let people enjoy playing music, which is a marvelous experience!
I live in US so i can only buy video course to learn. This video course really can teach you how to make your own chord on the songs that you like. Also, the teaching is wonderful, easy to understand the concept on each chord. The most difficult part for me is the listening part, but i believe i can improve it after i hear more songs. Overall this is a good piano course to learn. Highly recommended, thank you Mr Chan for the teaching.
Please accept my congratulation for your wonderful course which is very useful to us in enhancing our understanding and appreciation of music.
I can speak for those people who have stopped formal piano study for a long time but still remember a little bit of major scales, minor scales, appegios and broken chords during their childhood.
Your course is very good because
(1) It is designed for people with different musical experience. The course starts from the C major and chord introduction; How to find the suitable chord for your melodies etc.. The numerical chords are very useful. It is better than the alphabetical notation C, Cm, Dm etc.
(2) The numeric notation is particularly helpful when we try to choose our chords in music other than C major.
(3) After your course, I go back and read through some of the piano scores with chords. I now understand why the songwriter chooses a particular chord. Now I can UNDERSTAND the music. This can be applied to classical music scores that I have used in my childhood. This makes reading music and practicing more enjoyable.
(4) Being able to play the melody (play by ear) with your right hand and choosing the chord with your left hand makes piano playing any time easier. It helps you to analyze a music score (modern or classical piece) and makes it easier to remember the score.
(5) Consequently, it makes me more eager to practice.
(6) I agree with Chan Sir's aim for all of the students: to play your favorite tune WITHOUT THE EXPENSIVE MUSIC SCORE. I think with practice one can really do it.